- Demeester, who first became involved in crypto back in 2012 when he recommended bitcoin as an investment back when it was priced at $5, will remain as an adviser.
- Vancouver-based Blockstream said the purchase lays the foundation for a new division, Blockstream Finance, which will offer bitcoin investment products on the Liquid Network.
- The division will be headed by Blockstream's current VP of financial products, Jesse Knutson.
- Blockstream was founded by CEO Adam Back, the creator of bitcoin precursor Hashcash, Bitcoin Core developer Gregory Maxwell and nine others including Pieter Wuille, Erik Svenson, Jonathan Wilkins, Austin Hill and Jorge Timon.
- Financial terms were not disclosed.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.