Bitcoin trading platform BitQuick was the target of a cyberattack this week that temporarily resulted in unauthorized access to its server.
The startup said on Tuesday that the platform had been taken offline due to a security incident. In a statement published today, BitQuick said that the attack, which took place on Monday, did not result in the loss of customer funds or sensitive information.
The company explained:
"The breach was immediately noticed, and the server was shutdown to prevent any further damage. We are still performing a formal investigation to determine the attack vector, and specifically what information was obtained from the server. Due to additional security mechanisms in place, no funds were taken, and all IDs (driver's licenses, passports, etc) and emails remain secured."
Customer withdrawals have been processed and a security audit is now underway, BitQuick said, a process that could take several weeks.
In the same statement, BitQuick announced that it has been seeking a buyer, a move it said is unrelated to the attack, and cited personal reasons for the decision to sell.
Co-founder and CEO Jad Mubaslat told CoinDesk that the startup has no intention of shutting down for good.
"BitQuick is certainly not over, that's for sure. It's just about how long it will take to figure out the next step for BitQuick," he said.
Lightbulb out image via Shutterstock