- The U.S.-based company's latest funding round values it at $1 billion, the company said Tuesday. This investment will help support it as it provides tools to create and sell characters online.
- "Sometimes it's a small company like this, and other times it's huge, large companies that need to be transformed," Egon Durban, the co-chief executive of Silver Lake, told DealBook.
- In May last year, Genies raised a $65 million round led by Mary Meeker's Bond Capital with participation from Dapper Labs, Polychain, Coinbase Ventures, Hashkey and others.
- In December, the company partnered with the Universal Music Group, enabling Universal's musicians to create digital versions of themselves.
- Genies and Silver Lake were not immediately available for comment when contacted by CoinDesk.
UPDATE (April 12, 14:19 UTC): Changes headline, adds link to press release.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.