Tether on Tron Blockchain Hits $24B, Surpassing Ethereum Amid Explosive Stablecoin Demand
The amount of tether on the Tron blockchain has exceeded that on Ethereum.
There's now more of the dollar-linked stablecoin tether on the Tron blockchain than on Ethereum, data from Coin Metrics shows, possibly a sign that crypto traders are favoring the network's lower transaction fees.
- As of April 14, the total market capitalization of tether (USDT) on Tron was $24 billion, versus $23.4 billion on Ethereum.
- "As the popularity and adoption of cryptocurrency and blockchain continue to grow, we expect USDT to continue to explode in popularity” Justin Sun, founder of Tron and CEO of BitTorrent, said in a press release. “By crossing this historic milestone, I can proudly say that Tron is well positioned to become the global settlement layer and the blockchain protocol of the future.”
- The growth of the tether on Tron came as transaction fees on Ethereum remain high, frustrating many crypto traders who frequently use the stablecoin during trading to exit quickly from short-term trades and lock in gains with an asset at a stabilized value.
- As CoinDesk reported previously, the number of tether transactions on the Tron blockchain have also passed those on Ethereum.
- USDT's launch as a TRC-20 token was announced in 2019 in an effort to allow users to more easily conduct transactions within decentralized finance (DeFi).
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.