Binance, Blockchain Firm Orbs to Sponsor New Accelerator for DeFi Innovation
The two firms have become core sponsors of the DeFi.org accelerator, which will provide grants for innovative startups working in decentralized finance.
Cryptocurrency exchange Binance and blockchain platform Orbs have announced they are teaming up to support a recently launched accelerator focused on research and development within decentralized finance (DeFi).
- In an announcement on Monday, the two firms said they are now the first core sponsors of the DeFi.org accelerator, which will bootstrap startups in the space.
- Grants in the region of "tens of thousands of dollars" will be provided to successful projects according to their needs, the firms' representative told CoinDesk. There will be no equity investments.
- DeFi.org is now looking for projects "based on the principles of fair distribution, community ownership, innovation, responsible approach to risk, sustainable economics and composability with the broader ecosystem."
- As well as grants, selected startups will receive market exposure and mentorship from individuals such as Orbs co-founder and technical lead Tal Kol.
- They will also receive "special consideration" for further funding from both Binance and Orbs.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.