Australian Regulator Suspends Holon's Crypto Funds Managed by Gemini
All three funds are managed by the crypto exchange Gemini.
Australia's financial services and markets regulator suspended Sydney-based asset manager Holon Investments from offering or distributing three crypto funds to retail investors for 21 days, according to a press release.
- The decision was taken by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) due to non-compliant target market determinations (TMD) by Holon Investments.
- TMD is a document that describes the target customer for an investment product. ASIC said it is concerned that Holon has not appropriately considered the features and risks of the Funds in determining their target markets.
- The regulator believes Holon's crypto funds are not suited to the wide target market defined in their TMDs, which includes investors ranging from potentially medium, high or very high risk and return profile.
- The suspension applies to Holon's bitcoin, ether, and filecoin funds. All three funds are managed by the crypto exchange Gemini.
- "If the ASIC's concerns are not addressed in a timely manner, final stop orders will be placed on the funds," the press release said. "Holon will have an opportunity to make submissions to ASIC before any final stop order is made," it added.
- Holon Investments did not immediately respond to CoinDesk's request for comment.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.