The International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO), an association of securities regulators from around the world, is developing policy recommendations for crypto, according to a road map published Friday.
- The IOSCO's fintech task force, set up in March, will prioritize policy-focused work relating to crypto assets for the next 12 months to 24 months, according to the document.
- Two working groups – one headed by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the other by the U.K. Financial Conduct Authority – have agreed to publish reports with recommendations for decentralized finance (DeFi) and crypto assets respectively by the end of 2023.
- Financial regulators around the world are scrambling to set up comprehensive rules for the crypto industry after markets collapsed earlier this year, wiping out a number of high-profile companies and billions of dollars from the industry.
- IOSCO members regulate securities markets in about 130 jurisdictions. The fintech task force includes 27 of the 33 board member jurisdictions and is chaired by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Both working groups will focus on issues relating to market integrity and investor protection, and provide guidance on how existing regulatory frameworks for securities could be applied to digital assets.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.