The Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) has issued a discussion paper inviting views on the key issues around a retail central bank digital currency (CBDC).
- The city's de facto central bank's "e-HKD: A policy and design perspective" paper focuses on the policy and design issues related to a digital Hong Kong dollar.
- The authority is studying the issuance mechanism, interoperability with other payment systems, privacy and data protection.
- The HKMA has previously studied the technical aspects of issuing a CBDC, the findings of which were published in October. The resulting paper studied potential architectures and design options as it relates to the construction of the infrastructure for distributing an e-HKD.
- Along with the HKMA, the central banks of almost every major economy worldwide are studying or developing CBDCs, in part as a means of future-proofing their currencies from potential threats posed by increased use of privately issued digital currencies.
- China is leading the way with its digital yuan - or eCNY - which had 260 million individual users as of January.
- Hong Kong maintains its own financial and judicial systems, separately from the Chinese mainland as part of the “One Country, Two Systems” framework under which Hong Kong is governed.
Read more: CBDCs Are Going to Disappoint
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.