A Canadian store has been badly damaged during the attempted robbery of a bitcoin ATM and is no longer able to serve customers.
- As reported by the Vernon Morning Star on Thursday, the shop front of L&D Meats and Deli in Kelowna, British Columbia, was destroyed when two suspects backed their white GMC Sierra pickup truck into it as they fled the scene.
- Police said the pair, who are currently on the run, had been attempting to burgle a bitcoin ATM early Wednesday morning from the business next door to the deli.
- An employee of the store, Mike's Produce, said the suspects had been unable to remove the ATM, which was located on the interior back wall.
- Despite thousands of dollars in damages, nothing has been stolen, said Constable Solana Pare, a spokesperson for the Kelowna Royal Canadian Mounted Police, in the report.
- Police also said the suspects had left behind a tailgate from their pickup in the bungled raid.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.