The U.S. government has made one of the biggest drug busts in history, with half a tonne of narcotics and millions of dollars in cash and cryptocurrencies taken from dealers that use the dark web.
- The Department of Justice (DoJ) announced the results of Operation DisrupTor on Tuesday – calling it one of the largest attempts to combat criminal activity on the dark web, and in particular opioid trafficking.
- Over 500 kilograms of drugs were seized worldwide, as well as approximately $6.5 million held in both cash and cryptocurrencies.
- One particular bust saw the seizure of 111 kilograms of fentanyl, which Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Christopher Wray said was enough for approximately 5.5 million lethal doses.
- In total more than 170 arrests were made worldwide, including of Canadian citizen Arden McCann, who is alleged to be responsible for smuggling more than 10 kilograms of fentanyl and over 300,000 counterfeit Xanax pills into the U.S.
- Agencies including the Secret Service, the Drug Enforcement Agency, Homeland Security as well as international bodies Europol and Five Eyes all participated in Operation DisrupTor.
- At a press conference, DoJ Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen said the operation had dealt a "powerful blow" to the criminal underworld.
EDIT (Sept. 23, 07:40 UTC): This article has been updated to clarify Jeffrey Rosen is a deputy attorney general of the Department of Justice.
Read more about
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.