A shifting global balance of power is causing a rethink in the U.S.’ relationship with cryptocurrency.
On today’s “The Breakdown,” NLW looks at an underreported story from earlier this week. There are increasingly loud whispers that officials across several agencies, including Treasury, National Security and Defense, are growing concerned with China’s digital currency efforts.
NLW looks at:
- Why CBDCs are about power, not digital efficiency
- Why Facebook’s libra was the starting gun
- China’s possible objectives
- Why the U.S. tone on a digital dollar is changing
- How Gary Gensler as SEC Chair could portend a broader attitude shift for the U.S. vis a vis digital currencies
Image credit: Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg/Getty Images