A TL;DR on how Archegos went from betting $50B or more to having nothing overnight.
This episode is sponsored by Nexo.io.
The financial world has been rocked by the Archegos scandal. A family office managing at least $10 billion and betting with $50 billion-$80 billion on leverage that was completely undone, literally overnight.
In this episode, NLW breaks down:
- Bill Hwang’s origins in Julian Robertson’s Tiger Management
- Hwang’s conviction for insider trading
- How Hwang leveraged his fund’s performance to get off prime broker blacklists
- Why Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and others decided to margin call Archegos last week
- What the whole affair says about markets today
Image credit: Emile Wamsteker/Bloomberg/Getty Images