- The news comes a day after the payments giant announced it's entering the cryptocurrency market.
- BitGo was the first U.S. crypto firm to secure a broker-dealer approval, transfer agent registration and trust company recognition, allowing it to provide custody and record-keeping services.
- Given that the mechanics of PayPal's new crypto offering would in effect make it a custodian, it would explain the company's reported interest in BitGo.
- "Talks could still fall apart and PayPal could opt to buy other targets," Bloomberg quoted one of its sources as saying.
- BitGo CEO Mike Belshe declined to comment on the report. An email to PayPal requesting comment wasn't immediately answered.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.