BNB Chain will burn over 1.8 million binance coins (BNB) in its first burn this quarter, data from trackers shows.
- The burn was executed on BNB Chain at 08:23:05 UTC on Tuesday via the "bnb1ultyhpw2p2ktvr68swz56570lgj2rdsadq3ym2" tied to crypto exchange Binance, data shows.
- “$741,840,738 worth of #BNB will be taken out of circulation soon,” Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao confirmed in a tweet. The burn would be conducted at an average price of $403 per BNB, the data shows.
- BNB powers the BNB Chain ecosystem and is the native coin of the BNB Beacon Chain and BNB Smart Chain. It was issued by crypto exchange Binance after an initial coin offering in 2017.
- BNB uses an auto-burn system to reduce its total supply to 100,000,000 BNB. The auto-burn mechanism adjusts the amount of BNB to be burned based on BNB's price and the number of blocks generated on the BNB Smart Chain (BSC) during the quarter.
- Meanwhile, data shows an estimated 1.8 million BNB are on track to be burned next quarter, expected sometime in August. BNB trades at $419 at writing time and is up 4.9% in the past 24 hours.
UPDATE (April 19, 9:24 UTC): Updates headline and first paragraph to reflect actual burn numbers and action, adds details in first bullet.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.