BAYC’s ApeCoin Jumps 13%, Causes $4.5M in Futures Liquidations
Traders are losing big money on the recently-issued token.
Traders of futures tracking ApeCoin (APE) lost over $4.5 million in the past 24 hours as prices surged by 13% amid a broader market jump, data from tracking took Coinglass shows.
- Some 66% of all APE futures traders were short, or betting against higher prices, the recently issued token. These accounted for $2.81 million of all losses, while $1.44 million in gains were for traders who were long, or betting on higher prices.
- APE traded at the $13.88 level on Sunday night, surging to over $15.44 in early Asian hours on Monday. APE was issued on March 17 and was listed on several influential crypto exchanges such as Coinbase (COIN). Prices were volatile in the days afterward, rising as much as 90% after sinking 80%.
- APE is the governance token of the ApeCoin DAO, a community-led organization that manages the Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) ecosystem. BAYC is one of the most popular non-fungible token (NFT) projects, with a market capitalization of over $3.4 billion.
- Crypto exchange Binance processed over $1 billion in volume on APE futures, the most among all crypto exchanges. Bybit, however, saw the most losses on APE liquidations at nearly $1 million. Liquidation happens when a trader has insufficient funds to keep a leveraged trade open.
- Prices of APE fell since Monday’s highs to $14.83 at writing time as traders took profits.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.