Bitcoin Will Reach $200K in Second Half of 2022, FSInsight Says
Ether could reach $12,000, the report said.
Bitcoin became increasingly correlated with equities toward the end of the fourth quarter of last year and fell when faced with the prospect of central bank tightening, FSInsight said in a note entitled “Digital Assets in a Post-Cycle World.”
- The correlation has become more pronounced with bitcoin and the wider crypto market now being strongly correlated with technology stocks because of “legacy market capital entering the fold,” Sean Farrell, head of digital asset strategy, wrote in the note on Friday.
- However, bitcoin is still king, Farrell wrote, adding that the crypto could reach $200,000 in the second half of the year, following a choppy start to 2022.
- FSInsight also said that decentralized finance (DeFi), non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and other Web 3 applications have driven massive growth of the Ethereum network.
- Ethereum is undervalued relative to cloud platforms, and ether, which is the native token of the network, could reach $12,000 in 2022, the report said.
- There is optimism surrounding Ethereum's transition to proof-of-stake in 2022, which if it happens, would likely result in capital inflows irrespective of bitcoin performance, the note added.
- Bitcoin was trading at $42,750, and ether at $3,068 as of publication time.
CORRECTION (Feb 7, 13:40 UTC): Corrects headline to say $200,000 not $20,000.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.