Blockchain, Crypto Investment in H1 Topped 2018-20 Full-Year Totals: KPMG
Investment activity in blockchain and crypto reached $8.7 billion as of June 30, more than each of the preceding three years.
Investment in blockchain and crypto in the first half of 2021 exceeded the total for each of the previous three years, according to a new report by KPMG.
- The "Pulse of Fintech H1'21" report published Thursday by the "Big Four" accounting firm found that investment activity in blockchain and crypto climbed to $8.7 billion through June 30.
- This figure compares with whole-year totals of $7.2 billion, $5 billion and $4.3 billion for 2018, 2019 and 2020, respectively.
- Furthermore, the total was reached from a smaller number of deals, pointing to a greater average value for individual transactions.
- That's a sign of the evolving nature of investors, with more institutional money flowing as awareness and knowledge of the space proliferates.
- KPMG's report singles out the mammoth funding rounds into BlockFi ($350 million), Paxos ($300 million), Blockchain.com ($300 million) and Bitso ($250 million) as examples.
- One of fintech's big winners so far in 2021 has been crypto-focused regulation technology. With greater focus on crypto trading buoyed by soaring values of currencies, there is increased demand for "safe and secure access to investments," according to the report.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.