Clients of Wealthfront, an automated investment service, can now gain exposure to crypto through the addition of two cryptocurrency trusts to the robo-adviser's investment offerings.
- The Palo Alto, Calif.-based firm has expanded its roster of investment vehicles to include the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC) and Grayscale Ethereum Trust (ETHE).
- The move marks the first by a major robo-adviser in the U.S. to offer clients crypto exposure, an announcement by Wealthfront Friday claimed.
- Clients will be able to allocate up to 10% of their total portfolio to the two trusts, with crypto's volatility cited as the reason for the restriction.
- Wealthfront is among the largest robo-advisory platforms in the world with $25 billion in assets under management.
- Grayscale Investments is a subsidiary of CoinDesk's parent company Digital Currency Group.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.