Singapore residents have more awareness of cryptocurrencies than Australians do, according to the first survey conducted in the city-state for cryptocurrency exchange Independent Reserve.
- Singapore received an Independent Reserve Cryptocurrency Index (IRCI) score of 63 out of 100 for crypto awareness, a survey conducted by Toluna found. This is the first time the survey has been carried out for Singapore.
- The figure compares with a 2020 reading of 47 for Australia.
- Independent Reserve attributes the higher reading to the country's stable regulatory environment for crypto and the strength of its crypto industry.
- More than 90% of Singaporeans know of at least one cryptocurrency, with bitcoin having the most recognition, the survey found.
- More than 40% own some crypto, though 7% of respondents say it's a scam.
- The survey polled more than 1,000 people.
Read more about
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.