Kraken Exchange Brings Its Spot Price Data to DeFi Via New Chainlink Node
Kraken's connection to the Chainlink network allows the exchange to broadcast its price data for use in blockchain-based apps.
Kraken, the fourth-largest cryptocurrency exchange by trading volume, is making its spot price data available for use by decentralized finance (DeFi) applications and developers.
- Kraken announced Monday it is now running its own Chainlink node, enabling it to broadcast its Oracle Rates to Ethereum and other blockchains.
- Chainlink’s built-in cryptographic signing capability also means users will have access to on-chain proof of any data originating from Kraken's platform.
- The Oracle Rates can provide real-time price data feeds for decentralized applications, including derivatives contracts, lending, payments and stablecoins, San Francisco-based Kraken said.
- Chainlink's decentralized oracle network is widely used within DeFi to provide reliable price data aimed to be free from manipulation. Oracles provide data that can be used to trigger events using smart contracts.
- “Not only will this provide DeFi with accurate price feeds from a high-volume exchange, but we can cryptographically sign this data on-chain to prove without a doubt its origin, making it even more reliable when used to trigger automated blockchain transactions,” said Jeremy Welch, Kraken’s VP of product.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.