A New York City bar owner is selling his business for bitcoin (BTC) and ether (ETH), which could make it the first cryptocurrency-only restaurant sale in the U.S.
- Saying he's hoping "to catch one of these crypto dudes who always wanted to own a bar,” Hughes says he's willing to sell both businesses for around 25 BTC or 800 ETH, which are each valued at around $975,000 at the time of publication.
- "Crypto is on fire, it's a hot currency," Hughes told the Post.
- Though still uncommon, purchasing high-end property and real estate using cryptocurrencies is nothing new. In 2018, a beef salesman–turned–early bitcoin adopter from China’s Shanxi province, Guo Hongcai, funneled parts of his wealth out of the country by purchasing real estate abroad.
- Hongcai sold 500 BTC in the U.S. and then used that money to buy a 100,000-square-foot mansion in Los Gatos, Calif., a 90-minute drive from San Francisco.
- As for Hughes, while the bar owner says he's only received a few casual offers, he's convinced crypto is the future. "The next crisis, you won't have to run out and buy toilet paper," he told the Post. "You can just use your dollars."
CORRECTION (Jan. 10, 18:47 UTC): Corrects headline to reflect it's two bars being sold.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.