The SEC commissioner explains why the SEC’s approach has been “too slow and too ambiguous” and why she’s optimistic for 2021.
Hester Peirce is a commissioner at the Securities Exchange Commission, sworn in for her second term in August.
Sometimes referred to as “Crypto Mom,” Peirce has been a fierce advocate for the industry in a regulatory context that hasn’t always been on her side.
In this conversation, she and NLW discuss:
- Why the SEC’s approach on crypto has been too slow and too ambiguous
- Why it matters that FinHub is becoming a standalone office
- The prospect for a regulatory “safe harbor” for crypto
- What the SEC thinks of the OCC’s crypto custody guidance
- The prospect for a bitcoin exchange-traded fund
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.