A crypto market participant has accidentally paid a fee 80 times the transaction value while executing a swap on the DeFi liquidity protocol Uniswap.
- Mining pool Ethermine processed the transaction and collected the windfall fee, which was way higher than the current average of 0.0022 ETH ($1.07).
- Often users manually offer a higher-than-average fee in a bid to get their transactions processed quickly. As such, the system is prone to human errors such as typing mistakes.
- In this instance, ProudBitcoiner said in a Reddit post that they had mistakenly quoted 200,000 in the "Gas Price" input field, instead of the "Gas Limit" field, and ended up paying far above the current 31 gwei gas price.
- Gas refers to the internal pricing unit for running transactions on Ethereum and is denoted in gwei. One gwei is equal to a billionth of an ether.
- The gas limit is the maximum amount of gas provided for a transaction.
- According to the Reddit post, the user has contacted Ethermine for help over the error.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.