Bitwise Asset Management, a provider of cryptocurrency index funds to professional investors, now manages over $100 million in assets.
- The level is a record for the company and comes amid rising demand from hedge funds, financial advisors and multifamily offices, according to a press release.
- "We're reaping the harvest of two years of building infrastructure in this space," Bitwise Chief Investment Officer Matt Hougan, told CoinDesk in a phone interview. "It's no surprise that we're hitting multiyear highs."
- The surge in Bitwise's assets under management has happened alongside an increase in institutional participation in the top cryptocurrency.
- Several public companies, including the likes of MicroStrategy and Square, have recently disclosed their bitcoin investments, providing a vote of confidence in bitcoin's long-term value as an inflation hedge.
- "That has convinced many who were previously cautious that it's time to reevaluate," Bitwise Chief Executive Officer Hunter Horsley said in the press release.
- Bitwise has failed in its attempts to win approval from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for a bitcoin-focused exchange-traded fund.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.