Bitcoin Volatility Hits 23-Month Low as the Cryptocurrency Shrugs Off BitMEX, Trump's Illness
Bitcoin's 180-day volatility dropped to its lowest level since November 2018.
Bitcoin’s 180-day volatility dropped to its lowest mark since November 2018, reaching a 23-month low of 0.028 on Sunday, as the market was mostly unfazed by a week of unsettling news.
- Bitcoin (BTC) started to stumble through Thursday and Friday after the U.S. Commodities and Futures Trading Commission and Department of Justice leveled charges against BitMEX’s founders and President Donald Trump tested positive for COVID-19.
- But both news items resulted in a drop of less than 5% for the leading cryptocurrency, continuing a period of uncharacteristic calm in a frequently volatile and fickle market.
- According to data from Coin Metrics, bitcoin volatility has dropped 43% in the past 30 days.
- Many traders have stayed bearish through the weekend, as indicated by perpetual futures funding rates on leading derivative exchanges OKEx, BitMEX and Huobi.
- Funding rates on all three exchanges turned decidedly negative Friday as traders took on an increasing amount of short positions, according to data from Skew, with negative rates continuing through the weekend.
- As the market digests a lot of news at once over a quiet weekend, some buyers moved to start reversing earlier declines, pushing BTC above $10,640 early Sunday morning, up 2.5% from last week’s low of $10,375.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.