The booming stock market is driven by perception of the Federal Reserve’s commitment to high prices and growing individual trading, but how sustainable is it?
Today’s episode of The Breakdown looks at the stories the stock market is trying to tell, including:
- New all-time high in total market capitalization to GDP ratio (higher than dot-com bubble)
- “No precedent for how high” valuations can go
- Fed denies asset bubble; intimates it wouldn’t care about asset bubbles if full unemployment comes with them
- Bezos at $200,000,000,000
- Percentage of stocks traded by individuals reaches all time high of 20%
- Robinhood leads in FTX complaints
- Buffett’s Japan trading firm bet
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.