Exchange giant Binance has acquired crypto wallet app Swipe.io that allows users to purchase items via a Visa debit card.
- Swipe users can purchase cryptocurrencies from within the app and the debit cards automatically convert stored cryptocurrency into fiat currency, using the Visa payment network.
- Swipe is already available in 31 countries, mostly in the European Union, and currently supports transactions in major fiat currencies, including the U.S. dollar, euros and pound sterling.
- Binance, which has been adding fiat gateways for users all around the world, said Tuesday the acquisition could help boost crypto adoption.
- Swipe has now listed Binance's BNB token on its platform.
- The value of the deal was not disclosed.
- Binance announced in April it was beta launching a debit card; it's unclear if this has been provided through Swipe. CoinDesk has approached the exchange for comment.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.