Exchange giant Binance has acquired crypto wallet app Swipe.io that allows users to purchase items via a Visa debit card.
- Swipe users can purchase cryptocurrencies from within the app and the debit cards automatically convert stored cryptocurrency into fiat currency, using the Visa payment network.
- Swipe is already available in 31 countries, mostly in the European Union, and currently supports transactions in major fiat currencies, including the U.S. dollar, euros and pound sterling.
- Binance, which has been adding fiat gateways for users all around the world, said Tuesday the acquisition could help boost crypto adoption.
- Swipe has now listed Binance's BNB token on its platform.
- The value of the deal was not disclosed.
- Binance announced in April it was beta launching a debit card; it's unclear if this has been provided through Swipe. CoinDesk has approached the exchange for comment.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.