One hundred million jobs lost and $2.7 trillion in GDP evaporates. Shutdowns lasting 18 to 24 months. NLW looks at the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on key industries.
The second-order effects of the COVID-19 crisis are here, and they’re painful. In this episode of The Breakdown, NLW looks at how COVID-19 is impacting three industries:
Travel and tourism:
- 100 million in lost jobs expected globally
- $2.7 trillion in lost GDP
- Airbnb lays of 25% of employees
Music and concerts:
- From a record $12.2 billion concert year to a loss of $9 billion
- Expectations there will be no concerts for up to two years
- The industry organizing to be included in relief
- Commercial real estate expecting 2.5% default rate for the next five-plus years
- Negotiations around sales-based payment instead of traditional rent
- Residential real estate may have cratering demand but home prices remain up year over year
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.