As bullish indicators strengthen, bitcoin now looks set to extend gains to $11,000 or higher, chart analysis indicates.
A high volume break above key psychological resistance indicates strong hands are at play, so it's not surprising that the price is on the up. As of writing, bitcoin (BTC) is trading at $10,707, having clocked a session high of $10,714.47 earlier today.
Activity in the individual markets reveals that investors continue to use tether to accumulate bitcoins. Trading volume in BTC/USDT (bitcoin-tether exchange rate) on OKEx has gone up by 6.96 percent in the last 24 hours. Meanwhile, U.S. dollar trading volume on Bitfinex (BTC/USD) has increased by 6.61 percent.
The cryptocurrency is up 14 percent from the lows seen over the weekend and has gained almost 12 percent in the last 24 hours, according to CoinMarketCap.
Looking ahead, the cryptocurrency looks set to extend gains to the 10-week moving average (MA) of $11,385 in the next 24 hours.
- Bullish continuation pattern: the upside break of the sideways channel signals continuation of the rally from the low of $9,280 seen over the weekend. Further, the upside break is backed by an uptick in volumes. So, BTC could extend the rally to $11,000, according to measured height method.
- The relative strength index (RSI) shows overbought conditions, thus BTC may consolidate over the next couple of hours before extending the rally.
- Bitcoin looks set to test $11,000 today and could extend gains to $11,385 (weekly 10-MA). A violation there would shift attention to key resistance levels: the inverse head-and-shoulders neckline and the descending trendline.
- A daily close above the descending trendline would allow for a stronger rally to $17,400 (inverse head and shoulders breakout target as per the measured height method).
- Bearish scenario: Rejection at the weekly 10-MA, followed by a quick drop below $9,280 (Feb. 25 low) would add credence to the bearish weekly RSI and trigger a sell-off to $8,000–$7,800.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.