Transferring NFTs from one wallet to another
Wallets such as Metamask and Solana's Phantom Wallet are popular among NFT holders. Regardless of what wallet or NFT marketplace you prefer, there are generally five steps you need to take to move an NFT from one digital wallet to another:
- Toggle to your NFTs tab showing all the NFTs in your wallet.
- Select the NFT to transfer.
- Click the "Send" button.
- Input the recipient's public address (or ENS).
- Confirm the transaction.
The steps are likely to be similar across wallets and will allow you to safely send your NFT to the correct recipient.
To get more specific, we’re going to take you through two common use cases, transferring an NFT from your OpenSea account to a MetaMask wallet, and transferring an NFT into the Phantom Wallet. These are two common wallets and frequently used in the NFT world.
One thing we want to call out about step 4 above and in all following guides: You must ensure that the public wallet address you are sending to is correct. If you mistype or otherwise incorrectly enter the public address, the NFT will be transferred, permanently, to that mistaken address and there is no way to retrieve it.
Sending an NFT from OpenSea to MetaMask
The following are the steps that must be taken to transfer the NFT from OpenSea to MetaMask using Google Chrome:
1. To send an NFT from OpenSea to a MetaMask wallet, you must first sign in to the OpenSea platform and select the NFT you want to send.
2. Choose the NFT you wish to send.
3. You will be asked for the public wallet address to which you want to send it.
4. Then you have to agree to pay the fee for the transfer by pressing “Confirm.”
OpenSea will move your NFT to a MetaMask wallet after paying the fee.
Sending an NFT to the Phantom Wallet
The Phantom Wallet is designed for assets compatible with the Solana blockchain. For those looking to transfer some of their NFTs over to this user-friendly wallet, they can do so by following these steps:
1. Go to your Phantom wallet and press the "NFT Collectibles" button.
2. Select an NFT to send.
3. You will need to input the public wallet address of the recipient to complete the NFT transfer.
4. You will need to accept paying the network fee by pressing “Send.”
NFTs are exciting assets to collect, and it's great that there is a way to do so within the crypto sphere. With that being said, the process can seem confusing and difficult for someone who hasn't spent a lot of time in this space. But once you’ve gone through the process a few times, it will become much easier to manage your NFTs, connect your wallets, send tokens and transfer assets between them.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.