CoinDesk’s EOS Price Index
The CoinDesk EOS Price Index (EOSX) provides a USD-denominated reference rate for the spot price of EOS (EOS). The index leverages real-time prices from multiple constituent exchanges to provide a representative spot price. Each constituent exchange is weighted proportionally to its trailing 24-hour liquidity with adjustments for price variance and inactivity.
Given the potential for anomalies or manipulation at individual exchanges, constituent weights may dynamically adjust using CoinDesk Indices proprietary Constituent Weighting Adjustment Algorithm (CWAA). The algorithm is designed to calculate a real-time index that is an accurate and reliable reflection of the market price of each digital asset, using multi-sourced spot prices and dynamically reduce the weights of individual exchanges with lower liquidity, inactivity, and higher price variance.
To inquire about real-time feeds, historical data and benchmark licensing options for the CoinDesk EOS Price Index (EOSX), other CoinDesk Indices products and custom index development, contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or the form below.
The CoinDesk EOS Price Index (EOSX) represents a real-time, USD-equivalent spot rate for EOS. The index value is algorithmically calculated once every second based on observed trading activity on leading exchanges, using the same methodology and infrastructure as the CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index (XBX). In operation since 2014, the XBX is the benchmark for billions of dollars in assets under management and is the reference for hundreds of millions traded daily in the over-the-counter market.
The EOSX is designed as a reference rate that tracks liquidity while adjusting for deviations caused by anomalies and manipulation attempts at individual exchanges. While the precise formula underlying the index is proprietary, the key elements of the algorithm are outlined below.
Exchanges with greater liquidity receive a higher weighting in the index, increasing the ability to execute against the index in the underlying spot markets. Liquidity weighting also mitigates the impact of volume spikes during off-peak trading hours.
Price Variance Weighting
The index price reflects data points that are discretely weighted in proportion to their variance from the rest of the cohort. As the price at a particular exchange diverges from the rest of the data points, its influence on the index consequently decreases in real-time.
The algorithm penalizes stale ticks on any given exchange. If an exchange does not have recent trading data, its weighting is gradually reduced, until it is de-weighted entirely. Similarly, once activity resumes, the corresponding weighting for that constituent is gradually increased until it reaches the appropriate level.
Benefits of the CoinDesk EOS Price Index (EOSX)
- Manipulation resistant: Automatically discounts manipulation attempts and market anomalies.
- Real-time: Responsive to market movements, while maintaining the overall stability of the rate.
- Maximum replicability: Real-time weighting feeds are available for index replication in spot markets.
- Reliable APIs: 99.9999% XBX Index uptime recorded since 2015.
- Compliance: Index algorithm & governance based on IOSCO financial benchmark framework.
- Fully auditable: Historical exchange prices and weightings stored for every data point.
- The recognized market standard: Widely recognized as the highest-performing index for NAV calculation, derivatives and OTC trading.
For live prices and updates, visit TradeBlock, our index calculation agent subsidiary.
* These indices are products for financial institutions, and are separate from the prices that CoinDesk publishes on coindesk.com.