U.S. Homeland Security’s moonshots division, the Science and Technology Directorate (S&T), is trying to crowdsource a digital wallet.
- Directorate officials are putting $25,000 up for grabs in their new digital wallet challenge, a user interface design competition to pair with DHS’s work in the blockchain and decentralized identity space.
- Finalist wallets must demonstrate “ease of use and visual consistency, while supporting interoperability, security, and privacy,” said Anil John, technical director of S&T’s Silicon Valley Innovation Program (SVIP).
- Winning wallets could find a home inside DHS’ growing blockchain project portfolio. John mentioned how one DHS customer is implementing a decentralized credentialing system for issuing digital Green Cards.
- Though S&T has been finding and funding blockchain companies through SVIP for years, it has never taken a design challenge to the public like it's doing now, Kathleen Kenyon, S&T prize program manager told CoinDesk.
- “We’re trying to reach that freelance designer,” Kenyon said. She noted that while S&T has plenty of contacts within software development, it has less of a foothold in the graphic design community.
- For a freelance target audience, S&T is offering a freelancer’s stipend: $5,000 to the three finalists and an additional $10,000 to the competition winner.
- Kenyon said the rather low trove is sort of the point; it will appeal more to the community-level designers than it might to big corporations, and it also will let S&T run these kinds of competitions more often, she said.
- Applications are open through Oct. 15 and the stage one finalists will be announced at a virtual SVIP event on Oct. 27. Judges will announce the winner sometime in December.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.