Dapper Labs has closed an $18 million token sale on the strength of its latest collectibles game, NBA Top Shot.
- The non-fungible token (NFT) maker, also known for its early success in clogging the Ethereum blockchain in 2017 with CryptoKitties, raised the latest funds on CoinList. The firm completed work on its own high-volume Flow blockchain earlier this year.
- The token sale platform announced the results of the raise on Friday, saying that 13,000 people participated in the offering from Sept. 21-Oct. 2.
- The token sale comes as interest in NFTs has perked back up, inspired by a dose of DeFi thinking.
- "The FLOW token ... is the native asset for the Flow blockchain that is used by validators, developers and users to participate in the FLOW network and earn rewards," CoinList wrote.
- Dapper Labs' flagship game, NBA Top Shot, launched in full earlier this month after clocking over $2 million in revenue in private beta.
- The startup last raised $12 million in a funding round that included Coinbase Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz and a handful of National Basketball Association stars.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.