The Australian team behind CoinJar, have launched a community site listing merchants who accept bitcoin as payment. The site, called CoinMade, is run as a service to the community and as such is free of any advertisements.
Being made by an Australian team, you will see plenty of links to Australian sellers, but the site is clearly global in its scope. The site does not accept orders, its modus operandi is simply to serve as a directory of what can be found elsewhere on the web.
There are plenty of categories to choose from. Everything from bitcoin tools and charities to toys and clothes.
Suggesting a site to be added is a straightforward process. Just click on the “submit a new store” link and fill in the form. When we tried submitting a site, we received a message that it would be posted to the site within two days, subject to review. However, to suggest a site, you’ll have to create an account.
There are rules on what is and isn’t acceptable though. CoinMade’s about page cites the following rules:
- We do not accept adult or gambling oriented entries.
- We do not accept entries which deal illegal items.
- We do not accept entries which deal in speculative or zero-sum financial products.
- We do not use or accept affiliate links.
- This site caters to an international audience; hence submissions should offer goods and services which can be received by international buyers. The following submissions are not presently being accepted:
- Restaurants, cafes and food outlets.
- Services which are location specific, e.g. medical, legal.
- We do not accept entries which purely provide a payment gateway for Bitcoin without added layers or service.
- We only accept English websites for now.
The Coinjar team said on Reddit that the site is still in beta and so “things might break”, but the team wants as much feedback as it can get.
Ultimately, the CoinJar team hope that CoinMade will be community moderated. It is currently reviewing all submissions manually, but in its words “we have our hands full”. Therefore, if you feel like contributing to the project, get in touch with the site via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosure Read More
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.