Coinbase Mispricing Allows Users in Georgia to Cash Out for 100 Times Rate
The bug saw Georgia's national currency, the lari (GEL), priced at $290 rather than $2.90.
Coinbase (COIN) users in the Eastern European country of Georgia were able to exploit a price bug that allowed them to cash out their holdings for 100 times the exchange rate, pocketing thousands of dollars in profit.
- Georgia's national currency, the lari (GEL), was priced at $290 rather than $2.90 on Wednesday. In an email to CoinDesk, Coinbase attributed the missed decimal point to "a third-party technical issue."
- The error allowed users holding $100 worth of lari on Coinbase to withdraw it to their bank account for $10,000.
- Some users who were able to take advantage reported that their bank accounts and debit cards were frozen by their banks after transferring their funds to them, which Coinbase said was not at its behest.
- Coinbase said the issue was exploited by 0.001% of its total users, or about 1,000 customers.
- While the size of the crypto exchange's loss hasn't been disclosed, a spokesperson described it as "a small non-material amount."
- "We fixed the issue and and are taking action to retrieve the improperly withdrawn funds,” the spokesperson said.
- The mispricing was reported earlier by Blockworks.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.