Three Arrows Capital Liquidation Ordered in British Virgin Islands
Partners from Teneo Restructuring have been called in to handle the insolvency.
The liquidation of crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital was ordered by a British Virgin Islands court on Monday, a person with knowledge of the situation told CoinDesk.
- Partners from New York-based Teneo Restructuring have been called in to handle the insolvency, the person said.
- Three Arrows Capital, which was founded by Su Zhu and Kyle Davies in 2012, has suffered heavy losses in the recent sharp downturn in the crypto markets. The possibility of insolvency was reported in mid-June after the firm, which is also known as 3AC, incurred at least $400 million in liquidations.
- Crypto brokerage Voyager Digital (VOYG.TO) issued a default notice to 3AC this week after the fund failed to make required payments on loans of 15,250 bitcoins and $350 million in USDC. Voyager's shares had plunged after it disclosed its exposure to 3AC.
- 3AC has been an active investor in the digital asset industry in recent years with investments across non-fungible tokens, decentralized finance, layer 1 blockchain firms and crypto companies.
- Teneo declined to comment, and 3AC didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
- The court order and Teneo's role was reported earlier by Sky News.
UPDATE (June 29, 11:54 UTC): Changes sourcing; adds founding, Voyager Digital default notice.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.