Terra's newly minted luna token (LUNA) rallied by 39.41% on Tuesday after the token was listed on cryptocurrency exchange Binance.
- At the time of writing, luna 2 was trading at $8.18, with a self-reported circulating supply of 210 million, giving it a market capitalization of $1.8 billion, according to CoinMarketCap.
- The token was launched on a new blockchain dubbed Terra 2 following the depeg of algorithmic stablecoin terraUSD (UST).
- Investors that held UST or luna before the depeg, as well as those who purchased either asset following the depeg, were airdropped the new token with varying levels of distribution.
- The old luna token, which is trading at $0.0002, has been re-branded luna classic (LUNC). The new token was part of a revival plan for Terra.
- The revival plan, although passed by Terra’s network validators, was pushed live even as results from a preliminary online poll on a hard fork plan found minimal backing among community members.
- Some 92% of over 6,220 voters on a previously held online poll voted against the change, with the most popular responses calling for “no fork,” as reported.
- Several exchanges supported the airdrop of the new token over the weekend, with KuCoin and ByBit being the first to list it.
- Luna 2 initially rose to as high as $30 on ByBit before losing more than 80% of its value in less than two hours.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.