Coinbase Global’s (COIN) security infrastructure and regulatory adherence give it a “structural advantage” over rival global crypto exchanges, Cowen equity research analyst Stephen Glagola said in a note to clients Thursday.
- Cowen initiated research coverage on Coinbase with an outperform rating and an $85 price target.
- The company's shares currently trade around $70 and have lost more than 70% in value this year as crypto and equity markets have weakened.
- The current structure of the exchange industry suggests the risk of competition driving fees lower in the near term is low because the platforms “also compete on security/trust of platform, access to assets, ease of use, customer support, and alternative products,” Glagola said in the note.
- Material fee compression is possible in the longer term as the industry matures, he said.
- Cowen estimates that Coinbase accounted for about 46% of U.S. regulated centralized exchange spot crypto volume as of 2021, up from 39% in 2020.
- Glagola said he expects the introduction of Coinbase's crypto derivatives in the U.S., assuming regulatory approval, to be a catalyst for growth along with the potential for “off-shore liquidity moving back to U.S.”
- Coinbase is the third-largest crypto exchange by volume worldwide, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.