Coinbase Forms Crypto Think Tank, Names Hermine Wong as Director
The crypto exchange launched the Coinbase Institute for crypto research and discussions.
Coinbase Global (COIN) has created a crypto-native think tank dubbed the Coinbase Institute to fuel ideas across the digital ecosystem.
- The Coinbase Institute will publish research on crypto and Web 3, and plans to hold talks with policymakers and thought leaders across the industry.
- The Coinbase Institute will contain a site for updates, primers and crypto issues. In addition, it will have a monthly insight report on digital asset markets.
- Coinbase has also formed the Coinbase Institute Advisory Board and an academic partnership with the University of Michigan.
- Hermine Wong, the director of policy at Coinbase, will be the director of the Coinbase Institute.
- Cesare Fracassi, a professor at the University of Texas' business school, will be the unit’s first director of economic research and chief economist. He is also a member of the Work Group on Blockchain Matters, a group formed by the state of Texas to help expand the blockchain industry there.
- The advisory board consists of Christian Catalini, a crypto researcher from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Marco Di Maggio, a researcher and professor at Harvard Business School; Vikramaditya Khanna, a law professor at the University of Michigan; Nagpurnanand Prabhala, a professor at Johns Hopkins' business school; and Manju Puri, a professor at Duke's business school.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.