BVNK, a banking and payments platform targeting businesses seeking crypto integration, has raised $40 million in Series A funding.
- The round was led by Tiger Global and also featured digital asset custodian Anchorage Digital, token sale platform Coinlist and Francesco Simoneschi CEO of open banking startup TrueLayer.
- BVNK launched last October with the aim of appealing to businesses looking to offer crypto services not currently served well by existing payment and settlement providers.
- The London-based firm will use the funds to accelerate its push for regulatory licenses and expand into new markets, such as the U.S.
- BVNK currently process $2 billion in annualized payments which it aims to grow to serve cross-border businesses with fast payments and banking in crypto and fiat, hoping to address the fees and slow processing times of legacy infrastructure that could be a barrier to adoption by businesses.
- Its API-based platform enables merchants and other businesses to integrate crypto payments into their operations. Enabling businesses to accept payments in cryptocurrency but receive settlements in fiat could prove a boon for institutional and corporate adoption of crypto, which may be currently impeded by the challenges of converting it into fiat, on-ramping customers or managing payouts.
UPDATE (16:47 UTC May 12): Adds that Francesco Simoneschi joined funding round in personal capacity, rather than TrueLayer doing so as a company
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.