- “On October 18, 2021, the Company sold 1,685,392 shares of its Class A common stock at the average price of $9.28 per share. The Company received $4,999,993 in cash, and the equivalent value of $10,649,895 in bitcoin for the shares,” one of the documents said.
- A source familiar with the matter said venture capital funds Uncorrelated Ventures and Gigafund participated in the indie studio’s Oct. 18 sale. The source confirmed that Angel Studios sold equity for bitcoin but would not say who paid in the crypto.
- Angel Studios and Gigafund did not respond by press time. Uncorrelated Ventures declined to comment.
- Notable companies from MicroStrategy (MSTR) to Tesla (TSLA) have bitcoin on their balance sheets, but few U.S. corporations are known to have acquired it through a bitcoin-denominated share sale.
- Twitter account MacroScope noted that Angel Studios is backed by Gigafund, a venture capital firm aligned with Elon Musk through its founder “PayPal Mafia” member Luke Nosek and its investment in Musk companies.
- Angel Studios reported a $2.7 million impairment loss on its bitcoin at the end of 2021.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish, a cryptocurrency exchange, which in turn is owned by Block.one, a firm with interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets including bitcoin and EOS. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.