Marathon Digital Holdings (MARA) plans to relocate its mining machines away from a site in Hardin, Mont., that is powered by coal, the company said in a press release on Tuesday.
- Crypto miners have been facing increasing scrutiny for their carbon footprint in the past year or so, and some have taken steps to move toward renewable energy. Marathon has pledged that its operations will be 100% carbon neutral by the end of 2022.
- The Hardin bitcoin (BTC) mine is hosted by Beowulf, according to a Marathon investor presentation in March. Beowulf also owns the coal power plant nearby that powers the mine. The mine has space for 30,000 Bitmain Antminer S19 mining rigs, which together could generate as much as 3.3 exahash/second of computing power.
- The transition is set to take place in the third quarter of this year in a staggered fashion to avoid downtime, Marathon said.
- The crypto mining company didn't specify where the machines will be moved to or what "more sustainable sources of power" it will use. CEO Fred Thiel said the company's current strategy is to deploy mining rigs "behind the meter" at sustainable power stations, meaning the facilities are close to an energy producer and can draw power without going through the grid.
- Marathon shares were down almost 8% Tuesday morning, while the price of bitcoin was down slightly over the last 24 hours.
Read more: Can Crypto Miners Make the World Greener?
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.