Crypto miners Bit Digital (BTBT) and BitMine Immersion Technologies have signed a letter of intent to establish a hosting relationship that will start with 7,000 current-generation ASIC miners. The move comes several months after New York-based Bit Digital fully exited the Chinese market after the mining ban, shifting its focus to North America.
- Bit Digital and BitMine Immersion plan to begin delivery of the ASIC miners in the coming weeks and months and to be at capacity by the end of August.
- Bitmain’s latest Antminer ASICs start at $7,500 so the agreement could be worth in the $50 million to $60 million range.
- The companies plan to primarily mine bitcoin (BTC) in immersion-cooled containers, which keeps the machines cool and allows for higher output and better energy efficiency.
- Bit Digital and BitMine have agreed to a revenue split of the mined bitcoin under the multi-year deal.
- "We are happy to begin our relationship with BitMine Immersion Technologies, and have known the team for some time. As a company, we have been intrigued by mining using immersion technology, and we are happy we found an ideal hosting scenario allowing us to utilize the benefits offered by immersion cooling of our machines," said Bit Digital CEO Bryan Bullett in the press release.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.