A16z, FTX and Sequoia Lead $135M Round for LayerZero at $1B Valuation
The blockchain interoperability protocol first emerged from stealth last September.
CORRECTION (March 30, 19:28 UTC): A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that the amount of money raised was $155 million.
LayerZero, a startup addressing the problem of interoperability between blockchains, has raised $135 million at a $1 billion valuation in a round co-led by Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), the venture capital arm of crypto exchange giant FTX and Sequoia Capital, the company announced Wednesday.
- Other backers in the Series A extension round included Coinbase (COIN) Ventures, PayPal (PYPL) Ventures, Tiger Global and Uniswap Labs.
- LayerZero offers a protocol that unites decentralized applications (dapps) across multiple, disparate blockchains.
- The startup recently launched Stargate, a cross-chain liquidity transfer protocol.
- LayerZero announced a $6 million Series A round co-led by Multicoin Capital and Binance Labs last September as the company came out of stealth.
- “By unlocking cross-chain composability, LayerZero is enabling developers to build decentralized applications that simply weren't possible before," said Ali Yahya, general partner at Andreessen Horowitz, in the press release.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.