WalletConnect, a product for connecting Ethereum wallets, has raised $11 million in a Series A funding round co-led by Union Square Ventures and 1kx at an undisclosed valuation, according to an announcement shared with CoinDesk. The capital will help scale wallet interoperability and develop a generalized messaging layer.
- “Web 3 isn’t complete without some form of medium to communicate between users,” WalletConnect co-founder Pedro Gomes told CoinDesk in an email. “Since wallets essentially introduce digital identities that are portable across applications, we are able to create a shared messaging layer that isn’t owned by any particular wallet or application.”
- “You could imagine this today as if a Telegram user and a WhatsApp user could message each other,” Gomes continued.
- Founded in 2018, WalletConnect now has integrations with over 100 wallets and more than 200 applications, including Twitter.
- WalletConnect is in the process of developing a multi-protocol messaging network. The first protocols will relate to direct messaging between wallet users and push notifications from apps for on- and off-chain events.
- WalletConnect previously raised a $1.25 million seed round early last year led by 1kx.
Read more: A Crypto Wallet by Any Other Name…
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.