CME Group, one of the world’s largest derivatives exchanges, wants to start trading options on micro bitcoin and ether futures this month.
- The company, which overtook Binance as the world’s biggest bitcoin futures platform in October, plans to introduce the options on March 28 pending regulatory approval.
- The exchange introduced micro bitcoin futures in May 2021, adding the ether contracts in December.
- "At less than a year old, nearly 5.2 million combined Micro Bitcoin and Micro Ether futures contracts have changed hands,” Tim McCourt, global head of equity and FX Products at CME Group said in the statement. He noted that the “micro-sized options will enable traders of all sizes to efficiently hedge market-moving events with greater precision and flexibility or fine-tune their cryptocurrency market exposure.”
- In February, CME reported fourth-quarter 2021 average daily volume of 20.5 million contracts, up 26% from fourth quarter 2020.
- Options provide a trader with the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell an asset at a specified price at any period during the life of the contract. Futures contracts give the buyer the obligation to purchase an asset at the specified date unless the position is closed beforehand.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.