Huobi Plans Return to US Months After Shuttering China Business
The company will focus on asset management instead of an exchange business.
Chinese crypto exchange Huobi plans to reenter the U.S. market, months after it shut down its business in China to comply with a regulatory crackdown.
- "I expect asset management to be a bigger business than exchange, which echoes the traditional finance market as well,” co-founder Du Jun said in a translated interview published Tuesday by CNBC. Having an exchange is not a "necessary element" to enter the U.S., he said.
- Earlier in the year, after an initial crackdown from Chinese authorities in May, Huobi had scrambled to move its China staff overseas.
- Huobi Group, of which the Huobi Global exchange is part, entered the U.S. in 2018 and exited in December 2019 citing regulatory concerns. "We didn’t have a strong commitment to the market at that time, and we didn’t have a good management team in the U.S.," Du said, according to CNBC.
- In 2020, Huobi Tech acquired a trust license in Nevada through a wholly owned local subsidiary. Huobi Tech is a Hong Kong-listed entity that is separate from Huobi Group. The two share a common founder, Leon Li.
- Huobi Group officially announced it set up an Asia-Pacific region headquarters in Singapore in November. The company is also looking for a base in Europe.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.