Animoca Brands Acquires Australian Game Developer Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey Games will continue to operate under its present management but will align its blockchain-related efforts with those of Animoca.
- Grease Monkey will continue to operate under its present management but will align its efforts relating to blockchain integration, NFTs and play-to-earn capabilities with those of Animoca.
- Financial terms for the acquisition have not been disclosed. Animoca had not responded to CoinDesk's request for this information at press time.
- Among its numerous metaverse-related ventures, Animoca Brands is the developer of play-to-earn motorsport game F1 Delta Time, which uses Animoca's REVV token as its native currency.
- REVV will be integrated into Grease Monkey's games as a part of this acquisition, according to an emailed announcement by Animoca Thursday.
- Animoca's investment portfolio contains play-to-earn game Axie Infinity; Dapper Labs, the company behind NBA Top Shot; and OpenSea, the largest NFT trading platform. Animoca is valued at around $5.5 billion following its latest funding round of almost $360 million last month.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.