MicroStrategy’s Saylor Lays Out Ways Firm Could Generate Yield From Its Massive Bitcoin Holdings
The CEO discussed several ways the software company could produce income from the 122,478 bitcoin on its balance sheet.
MicroStrategy (MSTR) officials outlined some potential ways the company could generate yield from its enormous holdings of bitcoin during a virtual investor day Thursday.
- MicroStrategy, which makes business analytics software but whose market cap largely reflects its bitcoin holdings, owned 122,478 bitcoin as of Dec. 10, according to the company’s presentation. Those bitcoin were purchased since the third quarter of last year for roughly $3.7 billion in total, and are now worth roughly $5.8 billion.
- To generate income from its bitcoin, MicroStrategy could lend some portion of it to a “trustworthy counterparty,” CEO Michael Saylor said.
- The company could also put its bitcoin into some form of partnership with a big tech company or bank. “You could think of that as putting a lien on it,” Saylor explained.
- MicroStrategy might also look to put a mortgage against its bitcoin, generating long-term debt under “favorable circumstances.”
- Finally, MicroStrategy could develop “some kind of interesting application” for its bitcoin, said the CEO.
- Saylor noted in his presentation that no formal steps had been taken on any of these potential initiatives.
Read More: Most Influential 2021: Michael Saylor
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.