Canadian crypto miner Hut 8 Mining (Nasdaq: HUT) has bought 12,000 new MicroBT M30S, M30S+ and M30S++ miners from Inchigle Technology Hong Kong Ltd.
- The miner bought the units for $58.7 million, a cost of around $50/terahash, with aggregate incremental production of 1.17 exahash per second.
- Delivery is expected to start in January 2022 at a rate of about 1,000 machines a month, with full deployment by December 2022.
- The full deployment of the new miners will bring Hut 8′s total contracted capacity to approximately 3.57 EH/s.
- The new miners, along with the previous announced buys, will be deployed at the company’s two sites in Alberta and a third site, which is under development.
- In June, Hut 8 announced that it holds “approximately 3,806″ bitcoin on its balance sheet, which it expects to increase to 5,000 by the end of the year.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.